Re: [BKARTS] Adhesive on very glossy paper

I do repair for libgrries and gettin any adhesive to adhere to heavily coated glossy paper is a problem' I recieve books that have been circulated only once ot twice with glossy photo sections that have separated from the adhesive. The best solution I have come up with ia sandine the area wher adhesice it to be aplies breakin through the coating and slightly roughing the paper surface so the glue reach paper fiber.
From G Baker geembee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

----- Original Message ----- From: "kel flowers" <myceliae@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 2:02 AM
Subject: [BKARTS] Adhesive on very glossy paper

Hi all,

My brother recently gave me a book he needs repaired, and looking at it has
left me wondering.
It's a Phaidon art book, I guess you could say coffee-table style... heavy,
very glossy paper.

The problem is that the spine adhesive has come away from the gatherings,
completely in tact.
Here's a photo:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/myceliae/howannoying.jpg

My first wondering is why! It's a pretty new book, and looks in perfect
condition apart from the glaringly obvious problem with the glue.
Also, can anyone give me some suggestions for the best type of adhesive I
could use to repair this (the very glossy paper has me a little leerey).

Thanks in advance!
Kel.

-- "Edgewood Dreaming" - The Fine Art and Hand-bound Books of Kel Flowers. http://www.kelfae.com