Re: [BKARTS] Adhesive on very glossy paper

I agree... it seems to me that the adhesive the publisher used was a
hot-melt type.

"Hot-melt glues, which consist of polymers mixed with resins, differ from
other adhesives in that they set by cooling instead of evaporation. They
bond instantly when cooled but the adhesive will not flow around the exposed
paper fibers when the glue is applied below the recommended temperature of
350-400 ºF." [Lyman: Binding and Finishing; Graphic Arts Technical
Foundation; (1993).]

It contains very little water, so is not well-stuck to the coated stock,
especially if applied below the recommended temperature.

Also see:
ON HOT-MELT, HEAT-SEAL AND HOT-SET ADHESIVES
at < http://aic.stanford.edu/jaic/articles/jaic18-01-006.html >

Alan Shalette