[BKARTS] Espresso Jules

Jules Siegel writes in the course of some remarks on the Espresso book machine and handmade books of the painstaking sort that "the best typography is invisible" as if this were an obvious truth. In fact it is only an element in a certain aesthetics of fine printing which has no justification outside that aesthetic. Moreover, it was always a two-hearted rule -- fine printers certainly do expect consumers to pay very close attention to the type along with all the other aspects of craft. That is the rationale for buying the book. Jules' argument has more internal consistency. If you are committed to this sort of craft modesty then the well-made machined paperback really ought to be your standard of excellence.

So the question: This is the first I ever heard of the Espresso Book Machine. What do the books look like? On-demand books from Palgrave have a certain je ne sais quoi which is hard to locate but which says "reprint" loudly. I hope I'm not  being metaphysical. Can anyone explain this?

Charles
Ocotillo Arts