[BKARTS] problems with PVA and digital printing

Hello
I'm making a sewn binding and I'm encountering problems with the PVA and the printing.
In between the signatures, where the PVA should be sealing them together and disguising the super, tapes, etc, the printing is pulling off and opening up the gutter.
I'm curious if anyone had used Promacto as an alternative, or if there were any suggestions for a sturdier glue. The pages are digital offset printing on 80lb cover semi-gloss.
I tried sanding, but to weak results.

Jennifer Phiffer