Re: [BKARTS] The Espresso Book Machine

Winston at Black Riders Design wrote:

My favourite part of the machine is the... for want of a better word... vibrator that shakes the trimmed pages for a nice clean textblock to run over the glue rollers.
I think the word you want is jogger.

But an artist with a new tool, a good tool, a tool designed to do a specific job, and designed to do it well, can and will still create something amazing, something that I think is the very essence of what this list is about.

I got into graphic design originally because I was a magician with an x-acto knife. I could cut photos straight and square, trim that annoying edge of clear plastic off of one half of a strip of line tape so that it wouldn't fade out the edge of the photo when you hand-lined them, cut in corrections on the flats so that it was impossible to tell it wasn't straight out of the phototypesetter. Now using a computer, the "task" of trimming and lining photos doesn't even register... click, it's done. When I need precision cutting, I can still do it. But I'll save that for when I'm the best tool for the job, so to speak!

I'm still going to go to a good and proper papermaker, bookbinder, letterpress typographer, offset printer -- sheetfed or web, name your artist/artisan, if that's what I need. But now, really for the first time, I have a tool for when I need to call into existence a single copy of a paperback book in answer to a single instance of demand. I think the implications of that are staggering.
I am glad we are on the same side on this because you sure do make a great case. I agree with you fully, obviously, but that is only part of my heart-felt admiration for this truly wonderful essay.

Winston

---

Winston Pei, BA, MA, MGDC
Black Riders Design

ph: 780-913-0031
http://www.blackriders.com/

--
JULES SIEGEL Apdo. 1764, 77501-Cancun, Q. Roo, Mexico
http://www.cafecancun.com/bookarts

http://www.newsroom-l.net/