Re: [BKARTS] problems with PVA and digital printing

Well, even spray mount 1/16" along the fold to spray mount had the tackiness of a post-it note. Locally I've heard around town that this Indigo Digital Off-Set is a new printing style and the paper used is completely synthetic. There are no fibers for the glue to soak into or adhere to. I've gotten some advice to use PUR glue or add drops of acetone to my PVA. I'm going to try watering down gorilla glue and another test with the acetoned PVA.

--- On Thu, 5/29/08, William Minter <wminter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From: William Minter <wminter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] problems with PVA and digital printing
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, May 29, 2008, 9:12 AM

Do you have any pressure on the book, i.e. is the book lying on a
work bench with a light weight on the side, or is the book clamped
between boards in a lying press? If not, then there might be too much
air between the pages and signatures which is causing the signatures
to gape. If there is too much space between the signatures, the gaps
would appear after applying any type of adhesive. Another possibility
is that your signatures are too thick. ---- Obviously, it is very
difficult to resolve the question without seeing all the parts of
your book. There is a list of things that could be the cause of the
problem.
DON'T use Spray Mount to resolve the problem.
Take the book to your bookbinding instructor to get some advice.
Good Luck,
Bill Minter