[BKARTS] artists' books vs artists books

I have to admit I'm a bit embarrassed to post this, but I was asked the question and did not have the answer...and if the book arts list serv can't answer the question, no one can.
Why is the term "artists' books" punctuated so? (With the apostrophe?)
Is there a difference between the two terminologies: artists' books and artists books?
Is one deemed more "correct" than the other?

Thanks,
Alex Appella
www.transientbooks.com