Re: [BKARTS] 3-ring binder repair

I'd be careful prying them out.  If the metal thing with the rings is completely separate from the cover, you should be able to get behind metal thing and cut the rivets in two with some diagonal wire (metal) cutters.  If it's not separate and you don't need the old boards, you can cut around the rivets and then cut them out.  If the metal rings has not come completely separate from the boards, and you can't damage the boards, you will need to drill out the old rivets.  A Dremel tool with a little grinder wheel would do the trick too.

ab

-----Original Message-----
From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mary Jo Koranda
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 2:06 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BKARTS] 3-ring binder repair

I have a smallish 3 ring binder to repair.  I thought it would be pretty straightforward.  The metal thing with the rings attached to it came loose.  I just got rivets and a rivet tool from Talas.  Now I am not sure how to get the old rivets out, without making the existing hole too large for the new rivets.  Maybe just pry and get them up?  And the rivets are longer than needed, they are 5/8ths inch, for a domed binder mechanism.  This one is flat.  It is one of these danged publisher binders that are whatever size they feel like making them (9 1/2" long), so I can't replace the binder mechanism.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

--
Mary Jo Koranda                 Law Library
Head of Circulation             University of Wisconsin Madison