From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Transient Books
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 2:26 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] strange typo in recent books from Latin America

Linde,
Not a typo, not an autocorrection. It has become a way to denote both
genders, without having to say "amigos y amigas" when both sexes are
present. Amig@s means both genders at once: the@ symbolizing both A and O.
You will see señor@s as well, for example, and so on. If you have a group of

10 people, 9 are women and one is a man, then the gender of the word that
refers to them automatically switches to masculine. ("One bad apple ruins
the whole bin" my Spanish teacher used to say.) Traditionally in Spanish you

would just use the masculine word, amigos. Even if 9 of the amigos were
actually amigas. So, instead of deferring to such a masculine concept, women

especially have begun to use the symbol @ to include both genders when the
word is written out.
I'm trying to describe this with a two year old who wants to type an answer
at the same time, so hopefully this is somewhat coherent...
Saludos a todos,
Alex Appella
www.transientbooks.com
Sierras de Córdoba, Argentina