Re: [BKARTS] strange typo in recent books from Latin America

Wait a second. I'm not sure I see the offense. This digraph seems to
me to be visually representative of the intended meaning and certainly
more efficient than "amigas/os" and the like. An argument could be
made that its use here is for some kind of gender-neutral language
modification, but that's reading into things a bit much, don't you
think?

In terms of computer culture's destruction of our received
orthographies, most scholars believe the "at" symbol can be traced as
far back as the sixteenth century, and it's certainly had a whole host
of uses over the centuries. Most important, the "at" symbol has been
used by several Romance languages for this very purpose for a number
of decades, long predating computer culture. What does this new use
have to do with "PC madness," exactly? It's unclear to me...