[BKARTS] SoCal APHA Book Club #3

Southern California Chapter, American Printing History Association
Book Club #3 Gathering
August 25, 2008 at 7:00 p.m.

We are pleased to announce the third in our series of APHA Book Club conversations, which will be held on Monday, August 25 at 7:00 p.m. in the evening. The book which gives us a structure for the meetings is Frederick G. Kilgour’s The Evolution of the Book, which you can find used on Amazon for about $30.

We have discussed the first five chapters in Kilgour on the Dynamics of the Book, Incunables on Clay, Papyrus Rolls, The Greco-Roman World, and the Codex 100-700. The discussion on the 25th will be on Chapter 6 in Kilgour on Islam, 622-1300.

We will meet at Sue Kaplan’s home in Venice at 7:00 p.m. on one of the famed walking streets. Sue’s Craftsman-style house is remarkable, and she will show you her letterpress studio as well. If you didn’t attend the first Book Club meeting, you are still entirely welcome. And if you cannot find time to read Kilgour, you will still find illuminating conversations at our friendly gathering.

We are also planning a series of visits to collections which house artifacts which we are discussing at the Book Club. Please look for the next announcement of upcoming visits.

RSVP Richenda Brim
rbrim@xxxxxxxxx

Sue Kaplan
763 Nowita Place (NOT Nowita Court, which is an alleyway)
Venice, 90291
310.822.0161

Nearest cross street is Oakwood Avenue.

Directions:
From the 405 Freeway, take Venice Blvd. exit. Continue past Lincoln Blvd. (about 2 miles) to the first traffic light. Turn right onto Oakwood. Continue just past Superba until you arrive at Nowita Place and Oakwood. Sue is on the corner on the south side of Oakwood.
From Lincoln Blvd. driving south from Santa Monica, turn right (west) on Palms, then left on Oakwood. She is at the intersection of Oakwood and Nowita Place, one of Venice’s famed walking streets, between Rialto and Superba. Park on Oakwood.
From Lincoln Blvd. driving north from LAX, turn left onto Venice Blvd., right at the first traffic light onto Oakwood Continue just past Superba until you arrive at Nowita Place and Oakwood.

Park on Oakwood or Palms.

Call Sue Kaplan at 310 822-0161 or Kitty Maryatt at 818 416-6510 if you get lost.
We’ll put out a colorful flag so you can find the house easily.

If anyone wants to carpool with Kitty, meet at Kitty’s studio at 6:30. We’ll leave at 6:45 sharp. Address: 5350 Playa Vista Drive #12, Playa Vista, CA 90094.