[BKARTS] Artists' Books Master's Thesis Available!

I wanted to notify you, the listserv that diligently assisted me with several queries during my research, that I have recently completed my thesis on artists' books done through the MS program in Art History at the Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, NY. Research was completed at several national institutions, including Yale, National Museum for Women in the Arts, the New York Public Library's Special Collections, Columbia College, School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Brooklyn Museum, Minnesota Center for Book Arts, Center for Book Arts (NYC), and Museum of Modern Art.

"Engage, Perform, Act: How Contemporary Artists Use the Book as Form and the Book as Idea" dissects the issues of definition, exhibition and access that have plagued the artists' book field since its inception. Utilizing five works (Erica Van Horn's "Jewels I Have Loved"; Yoko Ono's "Grapefruit"; Tate Shaw's "God Bless This Circuitry"; Suzanne Lacy's "Falling Apart"; and Angela Lorenz's "Soap Story"), this work attempts to inject new thought into the analysis of the wide variety of forms and concepts that occur in the field. The thesis ends with a critical essay on the struggle for legitimacy as a contemporary genre, a vigorous battle against typical art and book (i.e. museum and library) viewing practices. Students of the book arts will especially find the ten page bibliography and appendix of emails of interest.

Copies of "Engage, Perform, Act: How Contemporary Artists Use the Book as Form and the Book as Idea" are now available for purchase at lulu.com :
Full-Color Hardcover: http://www.lulu.com/content/3024335 $37.40
Black & White Hardcover: http://www.lulu.com/content/3215705 $19.72

For your convenience, the thesis is also available for download here, as a pdf: http://www.swatling.net/joan/

Do let me know if the book will be catalogued into any library, so that I can keep track of where it is!

And I want to thank you all so much for your support throughout the research for this body of writing. I look forward to continuing my research and exposition on artists' books throughout my career as an art history professional! I greatly appreciate the kind words of encouragement you and the artists' book community as a whole has shown for my work.

Please contact me with questions and comments; I would love to start a dialogue about my research and ideas! I look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,

Joan E. Stoltman
joan.stoltman@xxxxxxxxx