Re: [BKARTS] strange typo in recent books from Latin America

I don't think the sender of the original message(s) claimed that the use of the @ was ever common in long ago times. But according to what I read in the website I sent to this list, it did occur in old (ca1600) documents in the Romance languages, especially Italian.

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 9:18 PM, Scott wrote:

I am still waiting for a response from the "allegator." ;{)>
Scott
-----Original Message-----
From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Martin
Wheeler
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:29 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] strange typo in recent books from Latin America

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008, Scott wrote:

What Romance languages and where? I read extensively in Spanish, French,
Italian, and Catalan

Likewise ...

Are we inhabiting different dimensions or just reading totally different
books and journals? I am a linguist--not a polyglot--so I would have
noticed such a weirdness in any of my readings.

... also likewise.
And this is the first instance I have come across of this usage.
--
Martin Wheeler - G5FM +44 1458 83-1103 - Glastonbury - BA6 9PH - England
mwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://martinwheeler.net/ http://avalonit.net/