[BKARTS] Helen Hiebert Workshop

Helen Hiebert Workshop at Bison Bookbinding & Letterpress
Paper Lamps & Lanterns
Aug 2-3; Sat-Sun 10:00am-6:00pm

Renowned paper artist, Helen Hiebert, will join us for a creative weekend
creating paper lamps, screens, and structures. Helen helped revolutionize
our papermaking and drying process. We are honored to have her return for
this special class.

Learn how to make a foam core armature, wind reed around it and then apply a
paper covering to create a beautiful collapsible paper lantern. After
applying the paper, we'll remove the armature (which can be reused to make
more lanterns!), and end up with a collapsible structure. A variety of
lantern shapes will be explored, and variations on the process will be
introduced. Next, we¹ll explore a variety of ways to make balsa wood framed
panels which can be adjoined to create lanterns, screens or book structures.
Each participant will create a shadow lantern or screen, featuring cut-outs
that cast shadows onto a second layer of paper.

The cost of this workshop is $150 per person, plus a $45 materials fee.
Price includes snacks and a healthy lunch provided by the Co-op¹s Swan Café.
Enrollment fees can be paid by credit card or check at Bison, or by credit
card over the phone. This workshop is limited to 10 people, so please make
your booking as early as possible to ensure your spot.

--

One of One

On the evening of August 5th, Bison will unveil our new studio/art gallery,
One of One, with a show of Helen Hiebert¹s fiber artistry entitled, Untied.
One of One will serve a host of functions as an art gallery, studio space,
workshop area, and more.

Bison Bookbinding & Letterpress
1420 North State Street
Bellingham, WA 98225