[BKARTS] Print Workshop at South Florida's Jaffe Center for Book Arts

JAFFE CENTER for BOOK ARTS
at Florida Atlantic University's Wimberly Library
Boca Raton, Florida

* * * * *

Book Arts & Letterpress Lists:

We've just listed the first of our autumn classes in the book arts, open to all who have the interest in learning something new. View full details and images at our website at the WORKSHOPS page:

http://www.jaffecollection.org

The class is a collaborative print/book project that sounds like a blast, and it's taught by Scott Miller. I studied Printmaking with Scott when I was in the Book Arts Program at the University of Alabama. He's back home in Florida now, still immersed in prints, but definitely with bookish leanings. You'll enjoy working with him!

Printing the Exquisite Corpse Instructor Scott Miller

Four Weekly Sessions:
Thursday Evenings 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM
(September 11, 18, and 25 and October 2, 2008)
All levels. No print experience necessary.

Jaffe Center for Book Arts
Letterpress Studio 351H
Tuition is by donation in support of JCBA, minimum donations being:
$175 general public / $125 FAU faculty & staff / $75 FAU students
Larger donations are certainly welcome!
Materials fee: $15

The "Exquisite Corpse" is a technique of image assembly invented by the Surrealists in the 1920s. It's derived from an old parlor game known as "Consequences," in which players write in turn on a sheet of paper, fold it to conceal part of their writing, and then pass it on to the next player for further contribution.

The Surrealists adapted the game to include drawing and collage, producing a result similar to some children's books in which the pages were cut into thirds, with the top third showing the head of a person or animal, the middle third the torso, and the bottom third the legs. The viewer could then mix and match the images by turning pages.

It is said that when the Surrealists first played the game, one of them uttered the words, "Le cadavre exquis boira le vin nouveau!" ("The exquisite corpse will drink the new wine!") Hence the name "Exquisite Corpse," though it's also been referred to as "Exquisite Cadaver" and "Rotating Corpse."

In our version, each collaborator will add to the composition in sequence after seeing only the end of what the previous person has contributed as we build our own collective assembled collection of images, our own exquisite corpse.

This workshop will allow students to draw, carve, and print using mounted linoleum blocks in conjunction with the Vandercook printing press. Mounted linoleum, while not type high, is perfectly adaptable for the letterpress environment. At the course beginning, students will be shown how to compose on the block surface, carve, and finally proof the image.

Each student's linoleum blocks will be initially marked at the left and right edges with a series of small, predetermined marks by the instructor. Students must employ these markers within the design of their work. Other than that, the scope and topic of the design/ illustration will be left to the individual. Students may not look at their neighbor’s designs in order to influence the overall continuity of the project, as that goes against the entire notion of the exquisite corpse. Near the end of the workshop, each person will have carved blocks that will edge register one to another.

We'll then individually lock our carved blocks into the Vandercook press and print an edition of single color impressions. We'll tip all the prints together to create one exquisite corpse for each member of the class, plus three for the Jaffe Collection and one for the instructor.

WORK STUDY SCHOLARSHIP
One work study scholarship is available to a currently-enrolled FAU student, who will take the role of studio assistant to the instructor. The scholarship student will pay no tuition, but will be responsible for the cost of his or her materials. In exchange for this opportunity, the scholarship student will be expected to provide assistance as needed to the instructor and participate in cleanup after each session.

To apply, simply send an email expressing your interest to me at this email address (jcutrone@xxxxxxx) by September 3, 2008. Please tell us why you would like the opportunity, and feel free to send images or other support material you feel may be helpful. The scholarship is open to all FAU students, no matter your major. We'll make our decision by September 4.

INSTRUCTOR
Scott Miller is a printmaker with close ties to the book arts. He has taught printmaking at the University of Alabama, Penland School of Crafts, New World School of the Arts, and Miami International University, and is currently Dean of Academic Affairs at Digital Media Arts College, Boca Raton. His work has been collected by numerous institutions and organizations, including James Madison University, the University of Florida, the University of Iowa Print Club, and the Center for the Study of Political Graphics, Los Angeles.

TO APPLY for the WORKSHOP
Send an email to me at this email address (jcutrone@xxxxxxx). You'll also see a link at the workshop page on our website to do so.

John Cutrone Programs Coordinator The Arthur & Mata Jaffe Center for Book Arts Florida Atlantic University Wimberly Library 777 Glades Road Boca Raton, Florida 33431 http://www.jaffecollection.org