[BKARTS] Questions: Japanese "crepe" paper

I have some of the little block-printed Japanese books on what I see
referred to frequently as "crepe" paper. Since ya'all are the source of all
knowledge regarding papers and printing, can anyone tell me:

What is the paper is made of?
When is it "creped" - before or after printing (looks as though it's done
after)?
What is the creping process?
When (and possibly why) was this practice begun? (One of these items is a
1915 miniature calendar/book - Mime Hon. I know that examples exist from the
late-19th century.)

Both of these are done in typical double "album" fold pages, each with two
knotted string ties to act as binding. (Is there a term for this simple
binding style?)

Was this style paper ever used with mechanical printing, or is it exclusive
to block printing?

Hmmmm. Guess that's "all" the questions. These will be for sale if anyone is
a collector but I wanted to find out more about them before letting them go.

Thanks for any insights,
Lee

Lee Kirk

The Prints & The Paper