[BKARTS] doggone dogearing

Someone gave me a copy of one of those self-help books, about 4 X 6, that he wanted a new cover made for. The book was very heavily dogeared, about every other page. I made a new cover, trimmed the textblock, attached it, and put it in a bookpress overnight. I use a lot of pressure in my bookpress, to give a nice dimple (using plexiglass rods) to the spine.
When I took the book out the next morning, there was no evidence that the pages had been dogeared. Even when I examined them closely, I could not tell that any of the corners had ever been turned in.
Has anyone else had this pleasant experience with erasing the consequences of doggearing? I wonder whether it is it the particular kind of paper?