Re: [BKARTS] Scrapbook conservation question

I have had a similar problem with old family photographs from the 1920
era.    These had been pasted down on the acidic, thin board by,
presumably, the photographer.

As you say, attempting to wet the pages to loosen the adhesive may have
undesirable consequences!   I actually had to scrape the card off the backs
of the photos until I got down to the back of the photographic paper.   I did
this with a large scalpel blade - quite time consuming, but caused no
damage to the item.   Possibly the photo could then be deacidified by some
gaseous process avoiding wetting the paper?

The other ephemera could perhaps be wet processed, lifted off and dried in
the usual manner?

Rodney Fry
Crowthorne
England