Re: [BKARTS] How to have a book of photographs printed?

Hi Scott,

I'm a photography student at the School of the International Center of
Photography, and am also studying bookbinding at the Center for Book Arts in
New York City for just this purpose. After viewing examples from more than a
dozen printing services, I've concluded that the only way to do it well on
high quality paper is to print it myself. I'm just finishing the 10 week
course, Bookbinding 1, and have plans for printing and binding a number of
my photography projects, so although I haven't yet done one, I have been
investigating materials and methods, and perhaps some of what I've
discovered will be useful to you.

There are not many high quality double-sided papers, but Hahnemuhler sells
some in sheet form (many have very high regard for their Photo Rag), and
Inkpress makes a good quality double sided paper available in sheet as well
as rolls. A good quality inkjet printer, such as the Epson pro series,
will give excellent results. I have an Epson 3800, which renders beautiful
prints.

Although these are matte papers, which minimize the problem, it might still
be prudent to take steps to deal with the problem of outgassing. Epson
recommends that the prints be layered with newsprint for 24 hours, then
again for another 24 hours with fresh newsprint. Also, these are pigment on
paper, and I am concerned about facing pages rubbing one another. Two
solutions to that occur to me: first is interleaving, and second is using a
good fixative spray on the sheets before folding. Both Epson and Hahnemuhler
make such sprays.

Finally the printing involves the standard problems of imposition. My
initial searches have shown a number of software programs available for
this, although none are inexpensive. Adobe Insight, a page-layout program,
does have a feature apparently, which I haven't explored yet, designed to
handle impostion for pamphlets, and that may work on a signature by
signature basis, treating each signature as a separate pamphlet.

For myself, I think I'll probably do the impostion manually, so to speak, in
Adobe Lightroom, creating a print of four images, each rotated as needed,
then creating a second "print" for the reverse side, working from a dummy.

I hope this is helpful.