Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 6 Aug 2008 to 7 Aug 2008 (#2008-219)

Bill,

I would certainly agree with your statement about bleaching, as we too have
noticed the thread coming in whiter and whiter over time.

Unfortunately this is something I feel we have zero control over with
Barbour.  Barbour is now owned/merged with Coats, and A few years ago they
moved all of their linen spinning from Ireland to somewhere else in Europe.
When this happened and we went to reorder items we had been purchasing for
decades, it was met with a response of "we have never made that product
before."    We had to send them spools of their own merchandise to show them
the product we wanted to buy, and we continually wait good portions of a
year to receive merchandise from them.

I have found other companies around the world that are willing to produce a
thread of a more natural fiber, what I believe to be unbleached.  However
the bleaching does produce a softer thread (simply because bleaching breaks
down the fiber) and not sure how people would react to this.

Regards,
Aaron Salik

Talas
20 West 20th Street