[BKARTS] LACMA Islamic Books for SoCal APHA

Southern California Chapter, American Printing History Association
Collections visit #2: LACMA Islamic Art & Books Tour
September 20, 2008 at 11:00 a.m.
Meet at the new Grand Entrance
Park at the new lot on 6th Street

We are pleased to announce the second in our series of APHA Collections visits this year, which will be held on Saturday, September 20, 2008 at 11:00 in the morning. We have arranged for a tour of the stunning Islamic Art & Manuscripts collection at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. We will be led by Chris Jameson, who will guide us through the Islamic galleries where, among other treasures, two excellent manuscripts are on view: a Qur´an and a 16th century Persian illustrated manuscript. Reservations are required.

This event is held in conjunction with the APHA Book Club event on August 25 where we will be discussing Chapter 6 on Islamic books in Kilgour’s The Evolution of the Book. Even if you miss this surely lively discussion, you are welcome to join us for the tour.

If you wish to prepare further for your special tour, the LACMA website has extensive information about their Islamic art and manuscript collections. Visit www.lacma.org/islamic_art/intro.htm. You can continue on for at least 30 pages of fascinating history and commentary. More recommended reading: The Archaeology of Medieval Bookbinding by J. A. Szirmai, Chapter 5 on the Islamic codex (1999). Islamic Bindings & Bookmaking by Bosch, Carswell and Petherbridge (1981).

Please park in the new underground lot on 6th Street. Come up to the new Grand Entrance (behind Urban Lights) where Chris Jameson and Kitty Maryatt will be waiting for you. If you need to contact Kitty that day, call her cell phone at (818) 416-6510. The Museum opens at 11:00 and we will be off on our tour shortly thereafter, so please make sure you leave enough time for parking and getting to the entrance by 11:00.

RSVP Richenda Brim
rbrim@xxxxxxxxx

Los Angeles County Museum of Art
5905 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90036
(323) 857-6000
www.lacma.org

Directions:
You will find driving, public transportation and parking directions on the LACMA website at lacma.org.

If anyone wants to carpool with Kitty Maryatt, meet at Kitty’s studio at 9:45 a.m. We’ll leave at 10:00 sharp. Please let me know ahead of time if you’d like to carpool. Address: 5350 Playa Vista Drive #12, Playa Vista, CA 90094.