Re: [BKARTS] Ingento cutters

Linda,
I just bit the bullet and bought the exact cutter, new. I figured I wouldn't
find board shears I'd be able to afford any time soon, and the ingento might
be my best option.

I paid about $540, including shipping. Though it has been useful, it's also
been a bit of a pain. Here's my two cents–

The foot pedal doesn't hold the paper securely, it's a pretty rinky-dink
contraption. I need to figure out a way to make it work better. It's very
loose toward the back. I have to hold it down with my hand to secure it.

I was told that it would cut .07 davey board, and it does, but barely. It's
hard to keep square with thick material and the edges aren't clean. I have
to do a lot of sanding.

It's supposed to cut 15 sheets of bond paper at a time, and it does, but not
cleanly. It cut only 2 sheets of 100# paper cleanly at a time.

The 37" model is so deep that I can't reach to the back gauge when cutting
smaller sizes (smaller than full parent sheets, really. I'm 5'4") So I set
up another gauge with a ruler and L square at the front of the cutter. I
plan to have a bar made and screwed into the front edge, so it'll operate
more like board shears.

Also, out of the box, the blade was on so tight that when I pulled it up for
the first time, it caught on the metal strip at the very back and gouged the
blade. I couldn't bring the blade back down again. It's far enough back that
it doesn't affect cutting, but it was a pain to get it adjusted.

If I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, I'd use the $540 I
spent on the ingento as a nest egg for good board shears and buy a smaller,
less expensive cutter to tide me over. But if you don't need to cut a lot of
board, and do need to cut a lot of parent sheets of paper, the size of this
one is nice for the price. It's also nice that it's all wood. The less
plastic in my life, the better!

Hope that helps.
Best,
Carla Schultz