Re: [BKARTS] Journals, Diaries and Scrapbooks

And while we're on the subject of nature and diaries, don't forget those of Margaret Mee! : )

Kathy G

On Aug 20, 2008, at 6:07 PM, Andie Thrams wrote:

Hi Jill,

This is a worthy topic to my thinking. Hard to define the difference between a journal, scrapbook and diary, all can be sublime, or really icky/sappy. I agree that J. New's book is the best around so far.

I have worked in journals since childhood, and had always considered them as merely source material for more in depth work until ten years ago or so, when I realized I was drawn to making work in my journals more than anything else I was doing. I began to seek a way that work in a journal could become a serious form in itself, rather than just a beginning. That is how I came into the book arts: I wanted my forest field journal pages to find a form of more depth and substance, a way they might stand on their own. Don't know if I am there yet, but I am now working in a way that takes the form of the journal more seriously. Happy to be in touch with you further about this direction. And, I would be glad to hear about what you may discover.

Meanwhile, here is my own list of favorites, sent in and published in PCBA's Ampersand a while back, on the topic of Artists Sketchbooks & Visual Journals:

Barbara Bash, True Nature, Shambala, 2004
William Berry, 1954-1956 Alaskan Field Sketches, University of Alaska Press, 1989
Janice Driesbach & Susan Landauer, Obata's Yosemite, Yosemite Association, 1993
David Hansen, Jorg Schmeisser: Breaking the Ice, Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, 2003
Hannah Hinchman, A Trail Though Leaves: The Journal as a Path to Place, W.W. Norton & Company, 1997
Sara Midda, Sara Midda's South of France : A Sketchbook, Workman Publishing, 1990
Jennifer New, Drawing from Life: The Journal as Art, Princetown Architectural Press, 2005

Good wishes,
Andie Thrams