Re: [BKARTS] colour copies sticking to each other

Dave,
First --- you said "copies sticking to the plastic albums": All book people should know that all plastics are not alike. Some plastics contain plasticizers and/or coatings that could react with media, such as the binders in photo copy toners. A good example might be the vinyl sheet protectors that are used in some restaurants with photo copied menus --- the toner might offset onto the vinyl because the plasticizer in the vinyl has reacted with toner.

Interleaving your pages with paper is a possibility, but thin papers tend to fold and/or crease if they are bound in. And loose interleaving sheets can be lost. If plastic is used, it should be a so called archival quality, meaning that it has been tested and therefore should not react with any media. For example, a polyester film, such as Mylar D or Melinex Type 516, can be used, as well as some other similar plastic films. One of the nice properties of polyester film is that it tends to hold a static charge, thus the film will cling to a book page.
As to the question of photo copies sticking to one another: This is certainly a possibility, especially with, again, the plastic-binder used in copy toners. Obviously, there are a variety of toners on the market, but has anyone ever experienced a difficulty? I have not heard a concern nor of an incident, but it would be good to know if there have been any problems. Only time will tell if there is a problem.
I am sure that there must have been situations where photo copies have been subjected to an environment where the temperature was too high. Did that cause a problem? Again, only time will tell.

Over the years, I have had a number of books color-copied and thus far there has been no difficulty. However, I do wonder (worry?) about possible problems.
Obviously, this wonderful List provides us with an opportunity to share our thoughts, experiences and concerns. I look forward to hearing more on this topic. Maybe there has been some research on this aspect of photo copies --- there certainly has been research on the longevity of inks that are used in ink jet printers.
Thanks,
Bill Minter