Re: [BKARTS] call for entries (it's long!)

Hi Folks,

I want to further elaborate on Lisa Beth Robinson's call for printers for the Mutanabbi Street Coalition project. The first thing I want to do is provide a working link for you all to view the broadsides produced so far (the link that I saw in LBR's initial announcement didn't work on my computer, so....). Here's a link to the Jaffe Center for Book Arts website:

http://www.jaffecollection.org

From there, click on THE COLLECTION, and then click on MUTANABBI STREET BROADSIDES.

As part of the team that is responsible for digitizing and getting all of these broadsides on the Web, I want to encourage you by telling you that as new broadsides are created for this project, they will be added to our digital library, so your work will be amongst the other important pieces created so far.

And as part of the original group of printers that became the Mutanabbi Street Coalition, I want to encourage you by telling you that this is an amazing, heart-wrenching project. If you've ever wished you could somehow make a difference just by doing what you do, this is your chance.

Seth Thompson and I created a broadside through our Convivio Bookworks press, and I can't begin to tell you how satisfying a project it is. For our part, we sent some 20 copies of our broadside to the Coalition to be sold to raise money for Doctors Without Borders. We continue to sell what we have left of the edition on our website (http://www.conviviobookworks.com), giving 10% of the sales to Doctors Without Borders. And when we hosted a Concert and Reading for Mutanabbi Street here at the Jaffe Center for Book Arts last July, with the proceeds also benefiting DWB, we gave one of our broadsides to anyone who purchased a ticket for $50 or more. There were only 50 seats in the gallery for that concert, and we raised over $1800 for Doctors Without Borders that night.

All of this by simply doing what we do as letterpress printers. Please join us. Contact Lisa Beth if you're at all interested: cholbrain@xxxxxxxxx .

John

John Cutrone
Programs Coordinator
The Arthur & Mata Jaffe Center for Book Arts
Boca Raton, Florida
http://www.jaffecollection.org