[BKARTS] Artist Books by Susan Collard at 23 Sandy Gallery

ARTIST BOOKS BY SUSAN COLLARD AT 23 SANDY GALLERY IN SEPTEMBER

23 Sandy Gallery is pleased to present artist books by Portland artist
Susan Collard. Susan came to the world of artist books with a
background in architecture and poetry and makes sculptural artist
books that enchant and amaze the viewer. Her collaged objects come
from a trove of found materials—old books, salvaged lumber, cast-off
hardware. Her artist books are collaged objects—a coming-together of
disparate images and histories.

Collard says, "I work from a trove of found materials—old books,
salvaged lumber, cast-off hardware and the like. I'm interested in
reworking familiar forms in unexpected materials, in seeing ordinary
objects as sublime and surprising." To this end, the pages of Collards
books aren't usually made of paper. They're more often wood, metal,
and glass—materials that demand structural ingenuity and breathe life
into a sculptural, kinetic form. Collard's career as an architect is
evident in her books. She says, "I tend to think of the books as I was
taught to think of buildings, as a shaped series of spaces, linked by
movement and memory. They are less narrative than stage set, unfolding
like the rooms of a cryptic, unfinished house."

There will be a reception for Susan on First Friday, September 5,
2008, 6:00-9:00 p.m. Come grab a glass of wine, a bit of nosh, and a
lot of great art!

A complete on line catalog of this exhibition can be found at:
http://www.23sandy.com/Collard/Collard1.html

The show will run September 5-27, 2008. Gallery hours are
Thursday-Saturday, Noon to 6:00 p.m.

For more information, contact Laura Russell, 503-927-4409 or
23sandygallery@xxxxxxxxxx

--
Laura Russell