[BKARTS] DAFATIR: Contemporary Iraqi Book Art at South Florida's JCBA

JAFFE CENTER for BOOK ARTS
at Florida Atlantic University's Wimberly Library presents

DAFATIR: Contemporary Iraqi Book Art
through November 30, 2008

* * * * *

DAFATIR: CONTEMPORARY IRAQI BOOK ART is a groundbreaking and thought- provoking traveling exhibition curated by Nada Shabout of the University of North Texas. It features the work of 17 contemporary Iraqi artists, and is the first in-depth examination of the book form in contemporary Iraqi art.

"Dafatir" is the Arabic word for "notebooks." As Venetia Porter, curator for the Islamic Collections at the British Museum, writes in the exhibition catalog:

"This important exhibition of Dafatir--artists' books--could also have been called Seventeen Ways of Looking at Iraq. For the seventeen Iraqi artists whose Dafatir are highlighted here have chosen the form of the book to do just that. They focus on themes which express Arab and Iraqi identities and demonstrate concern for the present ruin of their homeland. There are books of poems and disturbing works which chronicle the last tragic years of Iraqi history: the Saddam years, the effect of sanctions during the 1990s, and after 2003, the continuing human suffering, and the physical destruction of the places which contain the tangible roots of Iraqi identity and culture.

"... The remarkable aspect of these Dafatir is that they enable us to look at history directly through the eyes of these artists. The importance the artists place on literature, the deep love of their country and the evident pain they feel at the ravages it is still undergoing are evident for all to see in these deeply compelling works."

This library-wide exhibition runs through Sunday, November 30, 2008. This includes the main lobby of the Wimberly Library, the Wimberly Administrative Offices (2nd floor west), and the lobby of the Jaffe Center for Book Arts (3rd floor east). The exhibition may be viewed anytime during regular library hours, which may be found at www.library.fau.edu/geninfo/hours.htm?boca or by calling (561) 297-3770. A few of the books are being exhibited inside the Jaffe Center; these may be viewed during regular JCBA hours: Monday through Friday, from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Other arrangements for groups are possible; contact me for details.

DAFATIR EXHIBITION CATALOG
A 96-page color catalog of the exhibition is available through JCBA. The catalog presents works from the exhibition, together with Venetia Porter's complete foreword, as well as several essays by expert scholars that explore the complexity of contemporary Iraqi art and artists. It also includes artist biographies and statements. The catalog, published by the University of North Texas, is an essential reference source on contemporary Iraqi art, and contributes immensely to the understanding of the development of modern Iraqi art through controversial and debilitating times.

Minimum donation for the catalog is $25 for each book, with your contributions benefitting the Jaffe Center for Book Arts. We thank you for your support as we strive to bring you important and eye- opening exhibitions such as this. It is entirely thanks to your support that we can make these things possible. Meanwhile, I think you'll find the catalog to be an invaluable resource.

Order catalogs by sending your check, payable to "FAU Foundation" with "Jaffe Support Fund" written on the memo line, to:

John Cutrone
Jaffe Center for Book Arts
Florida Atlantic University Libraries
777 Glades Road
Boca Raton, FL 33431

You may also purchase catalogs here at JCBA in person.

DAFATIR ONLINE
If you're not in our local area, you can get a sense of this fascinating exhibition by visiting the JCBA website and viewing our exhibition pages:

http://www.jaffecollection.org

I can't stress what a difference it is to see these books in person. I've spent the past four weeks with them as I've installed this show, and have gotten to know them very well. Many are downright breathtaking; some send shivers down the spine. The online photographs really do not express what the actual pieces do. Still, on our website you will find photos and information on a large number of the pieces on exhibit, as well as a slideshow of the photos.

John Cutrone Programs Coordinator The Arthur & Mata Jaffe Center for Book Arts Florida Atlantic University Wimberly Library 777 Glades Road Boca Raton, Florida 33431 http://www.jaffecollection.org