MIDDLE EASTERN MUSIC ENSEMBLE
A Jaffe Atheneum Concert celebrating our exhibition "Dafatir: Contemporary Iraqi Book Art"
Benefitting the educational programs of the Jaffe Center for Book Arts
Thursday, October 23, 2008
Concert begins at 7:00 PM

Harmonic Motion Middle Eastern Music Ensemble returns for a new concert performance of traditional Arabic music and dance here in the intimate space of the Jaffe Book Arts Gallery. The ensemble headlined last summer's unforgettable "Listening to Mutanabbi Street" concert and reading. Only 50 seats are available for this return engagement, with all proceeds benefitting the education fund of the non-profit Jaffe Center for Book Arts.

Harmonic Motion is a music and dance performance group that focuses on folkloric and ethnic idioms and cross-cultural projects, playing traditional Middle Eastern instruments. Its core performers are musician/composer Joe Zeytoonian (ud, darbuka, and voice) and dancer/ percussionist Myriam Eli (darbuka and riqq). They perform with kanun master Elias Kilzi as the Harmonic Motion Middle Eastern Music Ensemble.

Tickets are extremely limited. The minimum donation per ticket is $25, though any amount over that will be greatly appreciated in support of the Jaffe Center for Book Arts education fund. It is through support like this that we are able to bring you important exhibitions like "Dafatir: Contemporary Iraqi Book Art." (In fact, why not plan to view these compelling artists' books before the concert begins?)

SPECIAL OFFER: Give $50 or more per ticket, and receive as your gift a copy of the 96-page color catalog of the Dafatir exhibition. This book is more than an exhibition catalog. It is the first in-depth examination of this unique experiment in Iraqi art. The catalog presents works from the exhibition, together with a foreword by Venetia Porter, curator of Islamic Collections at the British Museum, as well as several essays by expert scholars that explore the complexity of contemporary Iraqi art and artists. It also includes artist biographies and statements. The catalog, published by the University of North Texas, is an essential reference source on contemporary Iraqi art, contributing immensely to the understanding of the development of modern Iraqi art through controversial and debilitating times.

For tickets, contact Jaffe Center programs coordinator John Cutrone by email: jcutrone@xxxxxxx or by telephone: (561) 297-0455. Remember, there are only 50 tickets available for this charity fundraiser, so please act quickly to avoid disappointment.

Visit our website for full details, including information on Harmonic Motion and the traditional musical instruments that will be used in the performance:

http://www.library.fau.edu/depts/spc/JaffeCenter/jaffeevents.htm

I don't say it lightly when I say that our concert in July with Harmonic Motion was truly wonderful: Beautiful setting, musical mastery and soulful interpretation. I hope you'll join us for an equally inspired evening on October 23rd as we celebrate the creativity of the global human spirit.

John

John Cutrone Programs Coordinator The Arthur & Mata Jaffe Center for Book Arts Florida Atlantic University Wimberly Library 777 Glades Road Boca Raton, Florida 33431 http://www.jaffecollection.org