[BKARTS] Dafatir Exhibition Catalog

Book Arts Folks:

The 96 page color catalog of our current exhibition, "Dafatir: Contemporary Iraqi Book Art," is available now from the Jaffe Center for Book Arts.

The catalog presents works from the groundbreaking and thought- provoking traveling exhibition curated by Nada Shabout of the University of North Texas. Featuring the work of 17 contemporary Iraqi artists, the book is more than an exhibition catalog. It is the first in-depth examination of this unique experiment in contemporary Iraqi art. An essential source of reference on contemporary Iraqi art, it is an important contribution to the understanding of the development of modern Iraqi art through controversial and debilitating times.

With a foreword by Venetia Porter, curator for the Islamic collections in the Department of Asia at the British Museum, it includes several essays by expert scholars (including Hashim Al-Tawil and Sinan Antoon) that explore the complexity of contemporary Iraqi art and artists.

It's a very well done production. I read it through and through and was fascinated, while the essays opened vast portals of appreciation for what I was placing on display in the exhibition. I highly recommend it.

The catalog is your gift with a donation of $25 or more to the Jaffe Center for Book Arts. Donations benefit JCBA's education programs. Checks should be payable to FAU FOUNDATION, referenced "Jaffe Support Fund: Education" on the memo line. Send to:

John Cutrone
Jaffe Center for Book Arts
Florida Atlantic University Libraries
777 Glades Road