1/ MINI WORKSHOP: BOOK ARTS 101 Instructor John Cutrone

Become a book artist for a day though this 3-hour immersion in the Jaffe Center for Book Arts. We’ll begin with a screening of a 25- minute video about the Jaffe Collection, the world-renowned collection that is the core of JCBA. We’ll follow this with an in- depth viewing of some of the amazing artists’ books in the collection, while also exploring some of the books in the current JCBA exhibition Dafatir: Contemporary Iraqi Book Art.

Afterwards, we’ll move on to the JCBA Letterpress Studio, where each participant will print a sheet of paper from handset wood type. These sheets will be the covers for the books we’ll make, a brief history of the book arts that we’ll bind by hand in the Single Signature Pamphlet stitch. You’ll go home with a book you made yourself––one that you can read as sleep calls later that night, as you reflect on the new outlook on books (and maybe even life) that you’ve found earlier that day at JCBA. “For there is great joy in knowing how to do things.”

Saturday, September 27, 2008
Noon to 3pm
All levels. No print experience necessary.
Book Arts Gallery and Letterpress Studio 351H
Tuition by open donation to JCBA (you choose what you’d like to give).
To register, go to the WORKSHOPS page at jaffecollection.org.

2/ HARMONIC MOTION in concert at the Jaffe Book Arts Gallery, October 23.
Traditional Arabic music and dance in celebration of our current library-wide exhibition, "Dafatir: Contemporary Iraqi Book Art." For tickets, information, photos... visit the EVENTS page at jaffecollection.org.

3/ FACEBOOK
JCBA now has a presence on Facebook. Search for 'Jaffe Center for Book Arts.'

John Cutrone
Programs Coordinator
The Arthur & Mata Jaffe Center for Book Arts
777 Glades Road
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
http://www.library.fau.edu/depts/spc/jaffe.htm