To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:42 AM
Subject: [BKARTS] Blurb Books vs. Artist Books

Hello Fellow Book Artists,

I'd like to open up a discussion of self-published, on-demand (SPOD?) books such as Blurb, LuLu, iPhoto or any other on-line book system. I've been dabbling with making a few of these books and and wondering how they might impact our world of artist books. I must admit that they have really made me think. Of course, a SPOD book can never be a substitute for a pop-up or sculptural books, but for my own work, I may never make a case bound book again. It is just so simple to have a SPOD made and then be able to move on to making the more fun books. So here are few things I've been wondering about lately in regard to SPOD books:

--Can a SPOD book be called an "artist book"?
--Have many book artists dabbled in SPOD books yet? If so, what was your experience? Are you happy with the results?
--Can the process of making a SPOD book be as satisfying as making a lovely hand-bound edition?
--Are SPOD books any less collectible than handmade artist books? Is it the content of the book that is important or the method it is made?
--How do libraries feel about these books? Are the suitable to add to the collection? Would they be house in regular stacks or in special collections?
--Have any artists shown SPOD books next to handmade books at book fairs or sales? What has the response been from viewers?

I'd appreciate any other thoughts you might have on the subject.

Have a good day,

Laura

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3448 (20080917) __________

http://www.eset.com