Re: [BKARTS] Blurb Books vs. Artist Books

If I think of Joan Lyons' book about her mother...
made on a small press, I cannot help but think that
this newer version of self published books is
similar.

The difficulty is that there is very little room for
layout choices within booksmart...so much of the
work has to be done in photoshop and imported in
already formatted.

There is no physical 'assembly' by the artist in blurb books, and I wonder if
Joan will weigh in on that...some limited edition books
are cut/printed/etc...but the assembly was with a stapler/
or paper folding done by artist.

I can imagine that Printed Matter will see more and more of these...
and I am pretty glad for that in the sense of art which is available...
YES! Distribution!

I still think, however, I may hold a purist's love for the books I
created in at the art table that will be different from the
happiness I will gain from having a collection of a lifetime of
images in several books printed elsewhere... still love, but a different regard for each.

My handmade books have  my fingerprints (visible or not) all over them...

My Blurb Book is a great way to finally get all those negatives OUT
and SCANNED and organized into the stories I have always been telling and nobody has seen(yet).

and, finally, as a teaching tool, I love the ability to concentrate on
content and sequencing and story tellling  with Blub books....
just the content and layout and meaning within...
followed by complicating and extending from content
down the path of having complete (?)
control over the content and the form with handsewn books.

I have found the beginners really catch on fast when they deal with
growing complexity from SPOD to the idea of  'bookart' as art object.

Susan

I haven't thought this through really thoroughly, but let me jump in
unafraid!!!

>>> diana nicholette jeon <jeon@xxxxxxxxxx> 09/17/08 2:52 PM >>>
I usually lurk here, but have to agree with Alex's response.  This is
a great topic.  I have to think now about how I feel about this topic.
I've done books using blurb, but never "artist books", just things I
needed made into books and surely wasn't going to do by hand!
This is a really interesting topic, and I am really looking forward
to reading the responses.

diana jeon