Re: [BKARTS] Re SPOD Books in the bookart realm ?? !!

Hmmm, I going to have to weigh against here.

They may be "Book Arts" in the same sense that glicee posters are "Prints". There is definitely room for them in the market but what are the advantages/disadvantages to them being called "art". If one can sign and number them and charge a elevated price with a little alteration (remember, Thomas Kinkade hand retouches his poster/ paintings to make them "art") then in my opinion buyer beware or at least understand the process. Do they in the end make my books more valuable then to a educated buyer and how many of those are left?

Are artist books about content or form or function? I think the later two mostly. Fine press books ideally contain all three where the craftsperson has hands on direct control over every element of the creation process and whose only limitations are of skill level and tools, not over what formats are supported by a service bureau.

Finally, let's consider the archival nature of these things if that's a concern to you at all.

There's room for SPOD but not in the same realm I hope. Will there be book art shows that will have to exclude such books like fine art shows exclude glicee prints?

I like the idea of doing a SPOD book as the 2nd edition to a "real" artists book and selling it at a considerably reduced price as a affordable reproduction but then there is no attempt at calling it something it's not.

Intriguing question though and it'll be an interesting discussion here to say the least.

___________________________ Chad Pastotnik Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506 http://www.deepwoodpress.com