Re: [BKARTS] Re SPOD Books in the bookart realm ?? !!

Greetings all  -
Chad, you touched the nerve that needs the response- (respectfully and in
good humor of course)

While I agree with a lot of what you pointed out and think you make a
great argument with the giclee print issue, I cannot agree with your
definition of an artist book.  You asked: "Are artist books about content
or form or function?" and said, "I think the latter two mostly".  I
respectfully disagree, I think artist books consider all three equally.
One can have a book which has fantastic form, and functions well, but
with weak content it becomes a one-liner, something which does not draw
the "reader" back to the book.  But if there is strong content, even if
it is simple, it is worth a second read. I'm thinking of Ron King's "Roll
over Baby" so simple, but the content is a big part of the success of the
book. You mention that fine press books succeed in all three, yet my
impression of "fine press books" is that they are mostly in the form of
the codex. The form is not really considered, it is assumed. Many book
artists do letter press for their books - those are not the ones I'm
talking about. I'm talking about the beautifully printed, on fantastic
paper, leather or cloth bound, books of poetry, or prints and short text.
Now, to relate this to the overall discussion of SPODs - I think that the
intention of the artist is another part that needs to be considered. Yes
to good quality paper, and printing etc, but since there are limitations
of this medium (presently), the artist has to work within those
limitations.  Do we consider Buzz Spector's book about hands an artist
book? (I just moved and can't find this book in the many boxes - so I'm
sorry but I don't have the title). This book, even as a SPOD, always
draws me back in. I've looked through it many times and am always finding
new things in it.  But it is a mass-produced book. What is the intention
of the artist? Doesn't that become a factor in the choice of production?
Edition size as well?

This is a great discussion.
And just so that I don't post fifteen responses:

I also really like the idea of producing the second and third edition as
SPODs, can't remember who said, it but it was a while back.

Tara Bryan - thanks so much for posting that fabulous video. Is there
anyone who has one made in this century?  It would be great to compare
notes about how things have changed.

And go Mary T!  Thanks for redefining "how" we should be discussing
artist books.

And finally - because of this discussion: FYI - for those of you in the
Philadelphia area, Ed Ruscha is speaking at the Fabric Workshop of Friday
Oct 3rd.

Hope this finds you all well,
Tara