Re: [BKARTS] Book or Sculpture?

Uh-oh. This could get become a wild and interesting thread.

JCBA was recently offered a piece by an artist, a solid granite "book" that is currently sitting in a library across the country. All we had to do was pay to ship it here to Florida and it could be ours. But while we accept a really broad definition of BOOK here, this was, to us, not a book, but a sculpture, and so did not fit our mission at all, so we declined the offer.

With a book there is a progression--of time, of story, of some element. We begin somewhere and end in a different place. The granite "book" did not seem to hold this element of bookness for us.

John Cutrone
Programs Coordinator
The Arthur & Mata Jaffe Center for Book Arts
Boca Raton, Florida
http://www.jaffecollection.org