[BKARTS] Books to Hold or Let Go: Call for Participants

Hello List Members

I'm looking for a few craft bookbinders to participate in an Australian group exhibition of fine bindings responding to a single text. I have been trying to fill the exhibition with Australian binders, but there are still about 8 sets of sheets available, and so I thought I'd open it up to international participants if anyone's interested.

The latest Ampersand Duck fine press volume is Poems to Hold or Let Go, a selection of poetry by Australia's most respected poet, Rosemary Dobson (including a small number never before published in book format), with wood engravings by acclaimed Melbourne printmaker Rosalind Atkins. The volume is 56pp, with a trimmed edition size of 240 x 163mm, printed using letterpress processes on Magnani rag laid paper. It is due for public release in early 2009.

Thirty copies of the book in sheet form have been offered at a discounted price, with a view to their being bound and returned for an exhibition at Craft ACT (http://www.craftact.org.au/200807G2) in Canberra in May 2009, to be called Books to Hold or Let Go.

The cost of the book in sheets is Aus$150 plus p&h; the only other overheads (besides your binding materials) are the postage to and from the exhibition. Works are able to be sold at the exhibition if desired, and there will be a room brochure produced by Craft ACT that will be sent to all participants. There is a small chance that the exhibition will travel to other venues.

Sheets are available now. The bound volumes will need to be received by April 2009, along with both print- and web-resolution images and information about the binder.

For more information, a more detailed timeframe, or to express interest, please contact me off-list. Payment can be made by international money order or via Paypal.

For more information on Ampersand Duck's fine press activities go to http://www.ampersandduck.com/finepress.html.

Entries will be accepted until all sheets are spoken for. Purchase of the sheets is on the understanding that the finished binding will be part of the exhibition.

Caren Florance

A m p e r s a n d  D u c k  ::  works with paper
Canberra, Australia
www.ampersandduck.com