Re: [BKARTS] Book or Sculpture?

Here again, such openness is a disguised form of ostracism -
it throws out reasoning, words, discursive thought, text as irrelevant
and excludes, by implication, anyone and everyone who is capable of thought,
words, text, learning, education, etc.
It throws out literature and history,
it throws out science and philosophy
and, certainly, it would be mortally offended by mathematics.

Sadly, for democracy, it throws out an intelligent electorate.
But that is an obvious horse of a different color.

A book is not a book if meaningful text cannot be read.
That is the definitive use of a book.
It is why the object "book" was invented.
Anyone is free to apply any name at all to anything that exists.
That is called a civic right or freedom of speech,
which, by common defintion is not about definitions
but about content and protest.
But, I digress.
If actual communication is to be involved
we have to agree on definitions and rules,
or else discourse becomes nonsense.
It muddies the clarity of discussion
to dispense with commonly accepted words,
to redefine them as anything and everything -
it dispenses with discourse and communication period.

More to the actual point, it muddies markets.

The idea of defining a book simply by calling it a book
applies strictly to the idea of intention,
the intention of having some object considered as a book.
So far, that is acceptable.
But it fails in its intention because it cannot seem
to confine itself to simple rules of communication
in which a book is commonly defined as an object
that has a meaningful and readable text,
and a sculpture as a different form of art
that is spatially oriented as opposed to a form that is linguistically oriented.

It is further confusing to contemplate whatever it is that impels
someone to redefine an obvious piece of sculpture as a book.
What is it that makes them want to redefine one form of art, a sculpture,
or a painting as another art form altogether?
Are they offended by the concept of sculpture?
Is it simply confusing to people who do not read
because books often are encapsulated as objects
that have sculpture like attributes such as tactile weight,
smell, or visual appeal?
Or is it simply a failure to attract any
positive feedback from the sculpture market that
they feel impelled to invade the dying book market,
and thereby erode that market even further
by preying on and confusing the weakened intellects
of those who do not understand
that books are objects that require
attention and that least denominator of discursive reasoning,
they require reading?

Oops, that's a complex sentence
so I am sure the point is lost there.

Better to seal it up in a block of concrete and call it book art.

The fact is that Littlewood's sculpture depends for its impact and meaning
on the fact that the inaccessible texts are commonly known,
made famous, in fact, by readers of those very same texts.
It is actually a sculptural comment on what are in fact books, and not a book in itself.
It depends on its meaning as sculpture by representing an object
whose form is only known to represent the containment of a readable text.
The form, as form, has no other meaning except as abstract art
and that is a discussion better left to them
what can clearly use words.

The meaning of a sculpture of a book depends on the objects known as books.

One wonders how many of the proscribed texts Littlewood has actually read
before sealing them off?
The suspicion is that Littlewood simply likes both books and sculpture,
but does not create texts, so she creates sculpture about books.
Nothing wrong with that, commendable even -
it is simply beyond any intellectual grasp why she can't call it sculpture.

If it walks like a duck ....

No matter what claims to openness are made
if you can call anything anything
you have just excluded language,
and yet, utilize language to justify
an anti-language esthetic.

Go figure.

Oh well, who needs all these pesky words and thoughts anyway?
For that matter this culture has already excluded actual books,
so why fret?

Book arts, anyone?

----- Original Message ----- From: "L Murphy" <hammysonata@xxxxxxxxx>