Re: [BKARTS] Trimming Q: bookplane/plough?

I haven't ever had much friendliness from Kinkos' staff but *have* had from Officemax. I don't know if they're near where you are. Caveat: some places the staff are nice, in others they act like they can't be bothered. But they've been great, at the one location near me, at doing work like that, especially if the get to know you as a customer. : )

Kathy G,
Forest Park, IL

On Oct 1, 2008, at 4:36 PM, Janice Sapp wrote:

Hi, call your neighborhood Kinko's and see if they will trim your edges and/or how much they will charge you per cut. Or, if Kinko's won't do this, find a letterpress printer or book binding studio which should have a guillotene to cut the edges. I work with a letterpress printer, however, we are in Asheville, NC. I know that you will be able to find someone to help you out. www.jansappbookbinder.com

From: "J.E.Addison" <firexbrat@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 5:32 PM
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [BKARTS] Trimming Q: bookplane/plough?

Hi list, wondering if you all can help me out here.

I love making small books but recently have been wanting to make larger thicker books but the problem I have is with the squaring up and trimming of denser blocks of pages. I can handle my thinner books and signatures with a knife and heavy straight edge but need something more robust for trimming the journals and memory books I want to create.

I do have a basic lying press, but do not have and have no idea where to get a plough or plane for using with it. Also, it has no raised guide edge or anything for a plough anyway. I can't afford (and don't want to lug into my 2nd floor apt) a guillotine... but i need to make my books look finished and neat! I hate the futile attempts at trimming with a knife/razor/xacto. Consistency is impossible!!!

Are there any resources, advice or techniques regarding trimming the ragged edges of a stack of signatures or just the raw edge of a text block, etc? I don't want anything fancy, just accurate and affordable. i wanted a plane or plough that I could use with the lying press I have but i don't think its possible because of the lack of a guide of any kind. All you experienced binders out there must know someway I can solve theis problem with out breaking my bank or back...