From: "J.E.Addison" <firexbrat@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 5:32 PM
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [BKARTS] Trimming Q: bookplane/plough?

Hi list, wondering if you all can help me out here.

I love making small books but recently have been wanting to make
larger thicker books but the problem I have is with the squaring up
and trimming of denser blocks of pages. I can handle my thinner
books  and signatures with a knife and heavy straight edge but need
something more robust for trimming the journals and memory books I
want to create.

I do have a basic lying press, but do not have and have no idea
where  to get a plough or plane for using with it. Also, it has no
raised  guide edge or anything for a plough anyway. I can't afford
(and don't  want to lug into my 2nd floor apt) a guillotine... but i
need to make  my books look finished and neat! I hate the futile
attempts at  trimming with a knife/razor/xacto. Consistency is
impossible!!!

Are there any resources, advice or techniques regarding trimming the
ragged edges of a stack of signatures or just the raw edge of a text
block, etc? I don't want anything fancy, just accurate and
affordable. i wanted a plane or plough that I could use with the
lying press I have but i don't think its possible because of the
lack  of a guide of any kind. All you experienced binders out there
must  know someway I can solve theis problem with out breaking my
bank or  back...

questions, go to the

*********************************************** NOW ONLINE, The Bonefolder, Vol. 4, No. 2, 2008 at <http://www.philobiblon.com/bonefolder> For all your subscription questions, go to the Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive. See <http://www.philobiblon.com> for full information. ***********************************************