[BKARTS] Dia de Muertos at South Florida's Jaffe Center for Book Arts

JAFFE CENTER for BOOK ARTS
at Florida Atlantic University's Wimberly Library

* * * * *

¡Celebrate Dia de Muertos at JCBA! October 3 through November 12, 2008

Dia de Muertos is the Mexican Day of the Dead festival, falling each year on November 1st and 2nd. It's more an occasion for festivity than solemnity, but there are elements of both, as families gather at cemeteries to celebrate those who have passed before them with bundles of huge marigolds and picnics and plenty of good food. At home, celebratory altars, called "offrendas," are created. These altars are decorated with calaveras (skulls made of painted sugar), photographs, candles, papel picado (cut paper), sweets and festive skeleton figures.

We here at JCBA love a good celebration as much as anyone else does, and we are particularly enamored of this one. We invite you to celebrate with us at our Dia de Muertos offrenda, located inside the lobby of the Jaffe Center. Ours, naturally, has a rather bookish bent to it, and we've filled it with not just the traditional skeletons and papel picado, but also some of the gorgeous items from the Jaffe Collection, including original Posada prints from Mexico and the work of American artist Leonard Baskin.

Those of you who know Arthur Jaffe well know that he loves this type of celebratory artwork... and we have put this offrenda together at Arthur's request. He wants it to be something we do on an annual basis; this is our inaugural display.

And in the spirit of the offrenda, we invite you to contribute to our display. We welcome your Dia de Muertos themed artwork (small prints or drawings of festive skeletons would be delightful), or, in the Mexican tradition, small photographs of your loved ones who have passed would be welcome, too.

JCBA's Dia de Muertos offrenda will be on view from Friday, October 3 through Wednesday, November 12, in the lobby of the book arts center, third floor east of FAU's Wimberly Library. JCBA hours are Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM, though the offrenda will be visible after hours through the front doors of the center while the rest of the library is open. (Library hours may be found at www.library.fau.edu/geninfo/hours.htm?boca or by calling (561) 297-3770.)

If you'd like to learn more about Dia de Muertos, let me know... I can also send you photos of our offrenda if you won't be able to get here to see it. We'll also make a point of getting photos posted to the JCBA website, too, especially as the offrenda grows and changes over the course of these autumnal weeks.

Creative days to you all! John

John Cutrone Programs Coordinator The Arthur & Mata Jaffe Center for Book Arts Florida Atlantic University Wimberly Library 777 Glades Road Boca Raton, Florida 33431 http://www.jaffecollection.org