[BKARTS] South Florida's Jaffe Center for Book Arts: Autumn Update

Book Arts & Letterpess Folks,

Here's what's new this month at JCBA... if you can't be here for our events, we're even bringing some directly to you via the web and podcasts, so read on. -- John Cutrone, JCBA Programs Coordinator

____________________________

JAFFE CENTER for BOOK ARTS at Florida Atlantic University's Wimberly Library

1. "Listening to Mutanabbi Street" Podcast
2. Harmonic Motion Concert 10/23
3. Gallery Talk 11/3: "Freedom of the Press: The Politics of Artists' Books"
4. Dia de Muertos Ofrenda
5. Workshop: Book Arts 101

* * * * *

Listening to Mutanabbi Street Podcast Now Online

An audio podcast of our July 17 Concert and Reading for Mutanabbi Street is now available online. You'll find the podcast at the JCBA website, and soon it will also be available as a free download at iTunes. It was quite an unforgettable evening of readings from our Mutanabbi Street Starts Here collection and traditional Arabic music performed by Harmonic Motion Middle Eastern Music Ensemble.

This podcast will help those of you who were here to relive the performance, and those of you who were not here to get a sense of what it was like. We'll have video posted soon, too... but for now, tune in, close your eyes, and think of this as Radio Days:

http://www.library.fau.edu/depts/spc/JaffeCenter/jaffepreviousevents.htm

Or, at http://www.jaffecollection.org, and click on EVENTS and then on the link for "Previous Events."

* * * * *

Jaffe Athenium Concert Harmonic Motion Middle Eastern Music Ensemble Thursday, October 23 at 7:00 PM

Tickets are still available for this concert in the intimate setting of the Jaffe Book Arts Gallery featuring Harmonic Motion Middle Eastern Music Ensemble, who performed in our concert and reading for Mutanabbi Street. This program, in celebration of our current exhibition, "Dafatir: Contemporary Iraqi Book Art," will feature the ensemble on traditional instruments performing music from the Middle East, including Arabic, Turkish, and Khurdish songs, with discussion of the music and instruments, and dance by Myriam Eli.

Tickets are by donation ($25 minimum) benefitting JCBA's educational programs. At the $50 level, receive as your gift the 96-page color catalog of the Dafatir exhibition, filled with insightful essays on Iraqi art by Sinan Antoon, Venetia Porter, and other experts in the field.

Visit the EVENTS page at http://www.jaffecollection.org.

* * * * *

FREEDOM of the PRESS: The Politics of Artists' Books A JCBA Gallery Talk by John Cutrone Monday, November 3, 2008 4:00 PM Jaffe Center for Book Arts

Just in time to get you riled up for Election Day, the Jaffe Center for Book Arts presents a gallery talk that explores political and social commentary in artists' books. We'll use the books in our current JCBA exhibition "Dafatir: Contemporary Iraqi Book Art" as a point of departure and look at many books from JCBA's permanent collection, as well.

Books have always been a means of connecting to the world of ideas, and artists' books are no different. The artists of the Dafatir exhibition, for example, speak volumes in very abstract ways. Their books deal in subtle and not so subtle ways about years of tyranny under the Bathe regime, the unprovoked invasion of their country in 2003 and in particular the subsequent looting of museums and libraries.... These are books from the geographic "Cradle of Civilization" by contemporary artists that are literally fighting for the survival of their culture.

We'll explore the work of Western artists, as well, including Maureen Cummins, who consistently tackles difficult subject matter in her work, the simple yet powerful book "Gay Myths" by Ed Hutchins, and a book by Meg Belachik about the heavy metal pollution of Brooklyn's Gowanus Canal--a book that is actually bound in soft lead. Others deal more directly with the political theme by focusing on presidential politics, and yes, the current administration has been a prominent source of material for artists.

This gallery talk is free and open to the public, but seating is limited; please reserve your seat by emailing jcutrone@xxxxxxx or phone (561) 297-0455. Visit the EVENTS page at http:// www.jaffecollection.org.

* * * * *

Our Dia de Muertos ofrenda (a traditional altar for the Mexican holiday Day of the Dead) is filling up nicely thanks to things that folks have been bringing to place upon it. Among the things so far are a dancing skeleton linoleum print, a beautiful bunch of Indian corn, and a fun little painting. In the spirit of the ofrenda, we welcome your Dia de Muertos theme artwork or photographs of loved ones who have passed or anything else that feels appropriate. It's just a loan, unless you want us to keep them! We'll be repeating this celebration on an annual basis.

The ofrenda, which will be displayed through November 12, is on view anytime the library is open: during our regular JCBA hours (Monday to Friday 10 AM to 4 PM) and even while we're closed, we're keeping the lights trained on the ofrenda so folks can look inside our front doors to see it. Visit the EVENTS page at http:// www.jaffecollection.org.

* * * * *

MINI WORKSHOP: BOOK ARTS 101 Instructor John Cutrone

Become a book artist for a day though this 3-hour immersion in the Jaffe Center for Book Arts. We’ll begin with a screening of a 25- minute video about the Jaffe Collection, the world-renowned collection that is the core of JCBA. We’ll follow this with an in- depth viewing of some of the amazing artists’ books in the collection, while also exploring some of the books in the current JCBA exhibition Dafatir: Contemporary Iraqi Book Art.

Afterwards, we’ll move on to the JCBA Letterpress Studio, where each participant will print a sheet of paper from handset wood type. These sheets will be the covers for the books we’ll make, a brief history of the book arts that we’ll bind by hand in the Single Signature Pamphlet stitch. You’ll go home with a book you made yourself––one that you can read as sleep calls later that night, as you reflect on the new outlook on books (and maybe even life) that you’ve found earlier that day at JCBA. “For there is great joy in knowing how to do things.”

Saturday, November 15, 2008
1:00 PM to 4:00 PM
All levels. No print experience necessary.
Book Arts Gallery, Letterpress Studio 351H and Book Arts Studio 350C
Tuition by open donation to JCBA (you choose what you’d like to give).
To register, go to the WORKSHOPS page at http://www.jaffecollection.org.

Jaffe Center for Book Arts
777 Glades Road
Boca Raton, Florida 33431