[BKARTS] Pastepaper book edges?

Hi, All.
I've run across a 2 volume set of books from Germany, 1749, with what looks like a pastepaper technique to the book edges: as if the decoration was done with a combination of stick and brush. As I've never noticed this before, I wonder if anyone can comment on this technique and its uses historically. Even anecdotal comments would be welcome.
Bob Roberts
Maryville TN