Re: [BKARTS] Pastepaper book edges?

Fairly common in German speaking / German binding tradition areas, and we
have lots of them at Syracuse University Library in the Ranke Collection. We
have it stippled and patterned mostly. Color is usually a bluish tone. It's
pretty easy to do - paste colors whereby they need to be much more dilute
than on a paper as you don't want to glue the textblock shut. I also prefer
tempera for edges as they don't form a film like acrylic.

p.

Hi, All.
I've run across a 2 volume set of books from Germany, 1749, with what looks
like a pastepaper technique to the book edges: as if the decoration was done
with a combination of stick and brush. As I've never noticed this before, I
wonder if anyone can comment on this technique and its uses historically.
Even anecdotal comments would be welcome.
Bob Roberts
Maryville TN

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator, PA - AIC