Re: [BKARTS] paper-backed bookcloth DIY?

I have had success making book cloth, using the following formula

100% cotton cloth (that doesn't have any stretch to it)
white tissue paper (the kind you stick in the gift bag when you don't want to wrap a present)
1 part corn starch
4 parts water
mix till smooth
microwave in 15 second increments, stirring in between, until the liquid looks translucent and is just starting to congeal.
cut tissue paper to be larger than the piece of cloth
Lay tissue paper on a flat surface (kitchen counter works well)
use a broad brush and liberally apply the cornstarch mixture to the tissue paper. (start in the center and pull to the edges.
Place the cloth on top of the tissue paper.
use a squeegy like implement to smooth the cloth onto the tissue paper.
The corn starch will bleed up through the cloth.
wipe off the excess.
leave to partially dry
remove from the counter when it is about half dry. You don't want it to glue itself to the counter.
Hang to finish drying.

Because it's cornstarch the counter can be wiped clean with a sponge.

Linda Johnson

  -------------- Original message from &quot;J.E.Addison&quot; <firexbrat@xxxxxxxxx>: --------------