From: Jules Siegel <jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 4:56:29 PM
Subject: [BKARTS] Narrative book art

I am writing an essay on narrative book art, a term that I thought was
prominent in our field, until I searched the term "narrative book art."
I got exactly one hit. Maybe I broke the Internet. Help me out here.

Example #1

"Minsky in Bed" by Richard Minsky
http://minsky.com/books.htm#bed
Text and commentary by Richard Minsky. His love life in the style of the
incunabula, with historiated, inhabited and illuminated initials.

Example #2

"Mad Laughter, Fragments of a Life in Progress"
http://www.madlaughter.com
Text, illustrations, facsimile documents and other visual objects along
with photographs by the author and others. Scenes from his life and
family history.

Shared characteristics:

[1] The text, typography and design are the work of a single author, who
creates or chooses the illustrations and also prints, binds and sells
the book.

[2] The book is meant to be read and looked at, but the text is main
conveyor, not the art. The text is not visually obscure.

[3] It tells a story in words and images; it's not a collection of
isolated pieces. The segments are at least several paragraphs long and
usually take up multiple pages. If it consists of very small segments,
such as poetry, they form a narrative.

[4] The layout is integrated with the story or complements it in a
global way. Richard's book has an antique design that gives his very
candid and explicit sexual memoir an amusing historical frame. My book
is laid out like a lavish university press version of a Great Man's
memoir, complete with documents from his personal papers.

    * What other books like this do you know?

    * Is narrative book art a recognized genre?

    * Do you have any other defining characteristics to add?

    * References and authorities?

    * Other observations or points of interest

Many thanks for any assistance you may be inclined to offer.

--
JULES SIEGEL Apdo. 1764, 77501-Cancun, Q. Roo, Mexico
http://www.cafecancun.com/bookarts

http://www.newsroom-l.net/