From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
J.E.Addison
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2008 3:08 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BKARTS] paper-backed bookcloth DIY?

Hello list,

I've recently become very dissatisfied with the book cloth available
to me and my budget from local art stores, and I'm wondering about
making my own paperbacked book cloth. I have tried "winging it" with
little success. Does any one have any resources or recommendation on
how to use my own fabric to make a paperbacked book cloth?

What sort of paper/glue should i use? I find pva soaks thru the
fabric and makes it look stiff and glued. I haven't tried hide glue
yet but that's the next experiment. I tried some fabric scraps on
typing paper, which wasn't bad but there are disadvantages to using
typing paper since it's not meant to be around for a long time. Tried
some thin drawing paper, but even thin drawing paper from a sketch
pad was too heavy for his application.

Should I starch the back of the fabric before gluing it to the paper?
(I thought of that this morning in my half awake half dreaming state
right after Bob Marley was my Grandfather, lol) maybe it would keep
the glue from soaking thru.

Any guidelines, advice or straight up step by step instruction would
be great! Thank you!

J. Elizabeth