Re: [BKARTS] paper-backed bookcloth DIY?

Gluing the board instead of the fabric is a good method, but you could also
try backing your fabric with a thin layer of gel medium and letting it dry
before gluing to boards (carefully, so it doesn't bleed through).  This
helps stop glue from oozing through the weave of teh fabric and it
stabilizes the fabric so it doesn't stretch or pull, plus gel medium loves
PVA, in my experience.

And if you don't like the tone of the board showing through, you can try
pigmenting your glue--white acrylic paint works great (a tip I learned from
Jody Williams of Flying Paper Press).

Good luck!

Sara