To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2008 2:27 PM
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] Narrative book art

This topic is interesting.

I have seen Haiku and other short poems done in artists' books that are
delicious in both the contents and the look and feel of the book.
I agree that a long narrative may not be 'right' for an artists' book,
however, I write short narratives and make prints to illustrate. I have had
a lot of success when I have put the prints and narrative together*.
Obviously, I would like to do the work more quickly and bind the book more
quickly because writing the story as well as making the prints is very
time-consuming and is not cost-effective when I get to the bottom line. But
making
my books this way satisfies something in my heart that yearns for me to take
time and pleasure in making the books that I do produce.  And the entire
book is an artists' book, at least, according to my definition.

*disclaimer here:  I have made a book with 7 prints of a butterfly in
transition and bound it in a bark paper.  I wrapped the signatures to the
spine with twine.
My client loved it and bought it when I designed it and before I made it.
Not all customers are as enthusiastic.  Jan Sapp