[BKARTS] Freedom of the Press: South Florida Gallery Talk

JAFFE CENTER for BOOK ARTS
at Florida Atlantic University's Wimberly Library

* * * * *

FREEDOM of the PRESS: The Politics of Artists' Books A JCBA Gallery Talk by John Cutrone Monday, November 3, 2008 4:00 PM Jaffe Center for Book Arts

Just in time to get you riled up for Election Day, the Jaffe Center for Book Arts presents a gallery talk that explores political and social commentary in artists' books. We'll use the books in our current JCBA exhibition "Dafatir: Contemporary Iraqi Book Art" as a point of departure and look at many books from JCBA's permanent collection, as well.

Books have always been a means of connecting to the world of ideas, and artists' books are no different. The artists of the Dafatir exhibition, for example, speak volumes in very abstract ways. Their books deal in subtle and not so subtle ways about years of tyranny under the Bathe regime, the unprovoked invasion of their country in 2003 and in particular the subsequent looting of museums and libraries.... These are books from the geographic "Cradle of Civilization" by contemporary artists that are literally fighting for the survival of their culture.

We'll explore the work of Western artists, as well, including Maureen Cummins, who consistently tackles difficult subject matter in her work, the simple yet powerful book "Gay Myths" by Ed Hutchins, and a book by Meg Belachik about the heavy metal pollution of Brooklyn's Gowanus Canal--a book that is actually bound in soft lead. Others deal more directly with the political theme by focusing on presidential politics, and yes, the current administration has been a prominent source of material for artists.

This gallery talk is free and open to the public, but seating is limited; please reserve your seat by replying off list to jcutrone@xxxxxxx or phone (561) 297-0455.

John Cutrone Programs Coordinator The Arthur & Mata Jaffe Center for Book Arts Florida Atlantic University Wimberly Library 777 Glades Road Boca Raton, Florida 33431 http://www.jaffecollection.org