Re: [BKARTS] longevity of laser vs. inkjet printing

There's also the newer archival inks from Epson.

Kathy G

On Oct 28, 2008, at 2:17 PM, Linda M. Cunningham wrote:

Hi Toby
I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the longevity of inkjet printing or laser printing?

Have a look at http://www.wide-format-printers.org/2FLAAR_reports/ previews/279_Previews_Report_Series_Laser.pdf for an interesting discussion about the pros and cons in general between the two. It's not the most recent piece on the block (it's from 2004), but it is an interesting and useful overview.

In my experience, I would do your insert on an inkjet, because it takes a wider range of papers (easier to match up to your letterpress section) in all three dimensions (odd shapes on a laser aren't fun, unless you want to cut them out of standard sheets)

The "technology" of applying ink at room temperature to the paper is closer to letterpress (versus hot, electrically-charged toner particles) as well. Depending on your paper and the printer used, I suspect you would only find the most noticeable difference would be the lack of an impression.

From a longevity perspective, I've noticed that laser printing deteriorates much quicker than prints I've made on any of my inkjets over the years, particularly when in contact with other media, particularly plastic.

Cheers
Linda